Tips and Tricks for the Exam
- Aim for taking GATE exam varies from candidate to candidate. Students from private engineering colleges try to get into M-Tech in order to have stamp of the better known institutions and for them reasonable percentile should the purpose. On the other hand , students studying in well-established institutes may aim to get into IIT or equivalent institutions. For the m very high percentile is essential.
- Normally 3 to 4 months of serious study should be sufficient for the preparation.
- In the first run study all topic as per syllabus.
- In the revision stage concentrate more on selected topics.
- Try to solve papers of previous years. This will give you an idea about the mismatch between the actual paper and your level of preparation.
- Fill up the gap by extra study.
- Try to take up practice test.
What Next ? After GATE Exam
- After declaration of GATE results, students must apply to individual institute to get their application forms.
- Institutes advertise for M-Tech admissions in leading newspapers from 1st April till the end of July. However some institutes do not advertise and therefor students have to send requested for the application to the institutes directly.
- An admission in the institute is based on GATE percentile.
- The concern institute may conduct written test and/or interview for the purpose of admission.
- If you GATE score is 96, you can go for admission in RECs Roorkee, BITS Pilani etc. If less than 85, you have to look for other appropriate institute.
- One day before the exam, revise the course.
- During the exam, try section A first Q1 carry one mark each and those in Q2 carry two marks each.
- Manage the time well during the exam.
- In the hall one should not get panicky upon receiving the question paper.Candidate should stay cool before the test, so that they do not get confused while attempting the paper. Time management is important but not at the cost of answering the paper accurately.
- Do not try to get hold of the entire syllabus prescribed for GATE .A selective preparation would be a very helpful concept and should be learned accurately.Memorization of any problem without a clear idea of the concept will be futile exercise.
- It is better to have flexible time plan before going to exam and have a balance of mind. It helps in avoiding silly mistakes.