GATE is an all Indian examination administrated and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs on behalf of the National Coordination Board-GATE, Department of Higher Education Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
Admission to postgraduate programmes with MHRD and some other government scholarships assistantships in engineering colleges/institutes in open to those who qualify through GATE. GATE qualified candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture or Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statics/ Computer Applications are eligible for admission to master/Doctoral programmes in Engineering/Technology/Architecture as well as for Doctoral Programmes in relevant branches of Science with MHRD or other government scholarships/assistantship . Candidates with Master’s degree in in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture may seek admission to relevant PhD programmes with scholarships/assistantship without appearing in the GATE Examination.
GATE qualified candidates are also eligible for the awards of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories and CSIR sponsored projects. Top rank holders in some GATE paper are entitle to apply for “Shyamma Prasad Mukharjee Fellowship” awarded by CSIR. Some government organizations prescribe GATE qualification as a requirement for applying to the post of Scientist/ Engineer.
Eligibility to appear for GATE
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 year after10 +2) and those who are in final or per-final year of such programmes
- Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four year Integrated Master’s degree programme (post B.Sc ) in Engineering /Technology or in the third higher year of Five-year
Integrated Master’s degree programme in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e g : AMIE by IE(I), AMICE(I) by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India)-ICE (I)) as equivalent to BE/B-Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
- A candidate declared “GATE qualified at the time of admission” is entitled for MHRD fellowship for 204 months unless he/she looses it due to poor performance in the registered programme.
- The student of Integrated Master Degree and Dual Degree programmes in Engineering /Technology are eligible to appear in GATE in order to qualify for the postgraduate scholarship in their own institutions only. They are not eligible for admission to a fresh M.E/ M.Tech Programmes.
Important Dates for GATE
- Availability of GATE forms October 1st Week
- Last date for submitting of forms November 1st Week
- Examination Date 2nd Sunday of February
- Result: March 31st